1500 Washington Blvd • Baltimore 21230
Carroll Park is Baltimore's third oldest city park and was originally part of the vast Mount Clare estate owned by Charles Carroll, a Barrister in the mid-18th century. The park was the site of Camp Carroll during the Civil War. The area surrounding Mount Clare was leased from the Carroll family and became Southwestern Schuetzen Park - a private recreation area used by Baltimore's German immigrant community.
In 1890, the City purchased 20 acres of the former estate to create Carroll Park and in 1906 engaged the Olmsted Brothers to develop a master plan for the park. The famous firm’s recommendations respected the historic character of the west side, including the Mount Clare mansion, while providing for sports facilities on the east- in keeping with the trend toward more active recreation for urban dwellers.
The Carroll Park Golf Course, on a separate parcel farther west, became the focus of Civil Rights protests over segregation and was integrated in 1951; it features a 9-hole executive course. The Gwynns Falls Trail passes through the edge of the golf course and the park.
Today, Carroll Park boasts an assortment of athletic field, a neighborhood playground, a natural play space, skateboard park, as well as a nine-hole golf course.
FUN FACT: Carroll Park is located in what many call “PIGTOWN”. The neighborhood acquired its name during the second half of the 19th century - when the area was the site of butcher shops and meat packing plants to process pigs transported from the Midwest on the B&O Railroad; they were herded across Ostend and Cross Streets to be slaughtered and processed.
- Athletic fields
- Basketball courts (4)
- Ballfields (6)
- Athletic fields (2)
- Accessible by MTA Bus Route #11
- Carroll Park Skateboarding & Bike Facility
- Carroll Park Golf Course
- Gwynns Falls stream valley
- Gwynns Falls Trail
- Carroll City Farm Garden
In Proximity to. . .
- Camden Yards
- M&T Bank Stadium
- Inner Harbor
- B&O Railroad Museum