Clifton Park is the former estate of Johns Hopkins that once included a lake, islands, rustic bridges, orangeries, a marble statuary and sculpture collection. Johns Hopkins purchased a working farm in 1838 and improved the grounds and house over the next two decades. The farmhouse was converted to an Italian Villa with a tower that offers a view of the harbor and views of the city in every direction.
Today, Clifton Park is home to an 18-hole golf course and clay tennis courts, but still maintains its rolling topography and character as an English landscape garden. The mansion house, however, has been converted for use as offices and as a pro shop for the golf course. Lake Clifton High School is located on the site of the lake that was originally added to the property by Johns Hopkins.
Also, Clifton Park is home of “On the Trail,” a 7-foot-4 bronze sculpture of an American Indian by Edward Berge. The Clifton Gate House (1887) is an eight-sided building that housed the valves for the water pipeline that runs from Lake Montebello. Water once ran through the valves (grates) under the gatehouse on its way south to supply homes and businesses in the city.
Clifton Park is located in East Baltimore and is bounded by Erdman Avenue to the north, Sinclair lane to the south, and Harford and Belair Roads to the west and east, respectively.